Hopedale Medical Foundation Announces Scholarship Winners
April 15, 2022
Hopedale Medical Foundation proudly announces its 2022 scholarship winners. Candidate selections were made by an independent panel of judges who reviewed applications from graduating seniors from Olympia, Hartsburg-Emden, Tremont, Dee-Mack, Midwest- Central and Delavan High Schools.
- The $3,000 Founder’s Scholarship in honor of HMC’s founder, Dr. Lawrence Rossi, Sr., was awarded to Tremont High School’s Gracie Miller, daughter of Lisa Miller and Gerald Miller. Gracie plans to pursue a degree in pediatric nursing.
- The $1,000 Orville Augsburger Scholarship, named in honor of a founding Board member, was awarded to Erin Dederich, daughter of Kristine and Peter Dederich. Erin, a student at Olympia High School, has chosen a career as a physical therapist. She will attend Central College in Pella, Iowa, in the fall.
- The $1,000 David Eckhardt Memorial Scholarship, in honor of a dedicated HMC employee who passed away in 1974, was awarded to Isaac Roller, son of Nichole and Nick Roller. Isaac is a student at Tremont High School, and will pursue a career in the medical field.
- The $1,000 Neil Alford, Jr. (Agricultural) Memorial Scholarship in honor of Hopedale’s past mayor and HMC board member, was awarded to Adam Swartzendruber. Adam is the son of Scott and Angie Swartzendruber of Minier. He is a student at Olympia High School, and will study agricultural engineering at the University of Illinois.
- The $1,000 Phyllis Martin Memorial Nursing Scholarship which honors a long-time HMC nurse, was awarded to Midwest Central High School senior Kylie Klaasen, daughter of Kenneth and Jennifer Klaasen of Manito. Kylie will be pursuing a career in nursing at the University of Missouri, in the fall.
- The $2,000 John Rossi Memorial Nursing Scholarship was awarded to Tremont High School’s Dillon Lucas, son of Chad and Jamie Lucas of Tremont. Dillon plans to pursue a career in nursing after attending Illinois Central College.
- The $2,000 Donna Bitner-Springer Nursing Scholarship in honor of the first Director of Nurses at Hopedale Hospital, was awarded to Hartsburg-Emden High School’s Gillian Harris, daughter of Rachel Harris and Floyd Harris. Gillian plans to pursue a career as a registered nurse.
The Hopedale Medical Foundation congratulates these outstanding students and thanks the many applicants who participated this year. Since its inception in 1980, The Foundation has awarded nearly $600,000 in healthcare and agricultural scholarships to local high school seniors and college freshmen. Donations from the public are appreciated and are tax deductible as a charitable donation. For more information, call Becky at (309) 449-4296.