ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) is a tool valuable in assessing brain function after a sports-related concussion. The six brain functions tested are:
- Attention Span
- Working Memory
- Sustained or Selective Attention Time
- Response Variability
- Non-Verbal Problem Solving
- Reaction Time
Advantages of taking the ImPACT Test are:
- Individuals take a baseline test of brain function prior to competition.
- After a concussion, a follow-up test is taken and is measured against the baseline.
- All results are forwarded on to a Credentialed ImPACT Neurologist for diagnosis.
- All diagnosis information is sent to the athlete’s primary care physician.
- Information is utilized as a tool for a safer return-to-play decision making process.
- Athlete can see his/her primary care physician for a clinical evaluation and receive the final decision for a safe return to sports.
Importance of ImPACT:
- Cost effective for ultimate protection for a safe return to sports.
- Sports-related concussions are not diagnosed by an MRI or CT scan.
- Clinical evaluation by a physician can rule out signs and symptoms only.
- ImPACT testing is specific to the athlete and not a national norm.
- Athlete may be symptom free but the brain may not be functioning normally.
- Validated and non-biased method of determining brain function after an injury.
- User friendly, computer-based, 20-30 minute test period.
Request an Appointment:
To request an ImPACT appointment, please call:
Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 4:00pm
We accept referrals from all physicians
How to Find Us:
Hopedale Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine is located on the campus of Hopedale Medical Complex, inside the Hopedale Wellness Center.
Questions about Insurance coverage?
HMC accepts most major insurance plans and Medicare. To determine if your insurance plan is accepted before electing services, or for questions about billing at HMC, please contact the Patient Accounts Office at 309.449.4377.