Midwest Vascular Institute
Since 1993, Midwest Vascular Institute, a multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses and other professionals, have been dedicated to delivering outstanding care to patients at Hopedale Medical Complex.
HMC was one of the first hospitals in the United States to establish an arteriography suite in the operating room. This allows a combination of stenting and open surgical procedures to be done simultaneously, saving patients time and money.
In December, 2014, HMC completed a $1 million upgrade to the existing Hybrid Angiography Suite. The update allows physicians to whatever they need to do as far as interventions go, plus the necessary open surgical procedures without having to move a patient. The upgrade also allows for complicated open and closed vascular procedures. The benefit to the patient is that everything is done at one time by one person.
The Board Certified vascular surgeons at HMC pride themselves in providing patients with the latest technology and choosing the right approach for each individual.
Vascular medical conditions treated at Midwest Vascular Institute include:
- Carotid occlusive disease
- TIA (Transient Ischemia Attack)
- Aortic aneurysm
- Non-healing leg ulcers
- Pain in the legs with walking (claudication)
- Severe hypertension due to narrowing of the kidney arteries
- Circulation disorders of the hands
- Blood clots in the veins of the legs and arms
- Varicose veins
- Leg swelling of unkown cause
- Clotting disorders
Procedures performed by Midwest Vascular Institute physicians include:
- Carotid endarterectomy – removal of plaque from the neck artery to prevent stroke
- Aortic aneurysm repair – endovascular and open surgical repair
- Angioplasty and stenting of the arteries throughout the body
- Vein stripping and vein injection therapy
- Dialysis shunt placement
- Vena cava filter placement
- Medical treatment of clot disorders (deep vein thrombosis) with clot lysis where appropriate
No Referral Required
Stroke screening saves lives! HMC sponsors free stroke screening clinics throughout the year for new patients.
Learn more about Stroke Screenings at HMC
Non-invasive Cardiovascular Imaging
Diagnostic radiology at HMC provides comprehensive imaging and image-guided interventional heart and vascular procedures.
Our strict standards for education and training of physicians and technologists, as well as requirements for quality control and safety have earned HMC’s Non-Invasive Vascular Lab national recognition and accreditation by the Intersocietal Accrediation Commission.
Cardiac rehabilitation is an integral component in the comprehensive care of people with heart disease. It combines prescription exercise with nutritional counseling, risk factor modification and education.
Learn more about Cardiac Rehabilitation at HMC